Mountain Climbing

I love music. Although, I’ve had many years of music lessons I can’t play a musical instrument but I love music for the words in the songs. The words of so many songs have such rich meaning to me. I listen to music when I am working. I found that if I have music playing in the background I am able to more fully focus on my work and I seem to accomplish so much more than when it is totally quiet.

The Bible is filled with songs. There is one tucked at the end of Habakkuk, one of the minor prophets, that I found to be of great blessing. Chapter 3 verses 17-19,Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.”
Everyone faces mountains over the course of their life. Mountains are challenges. Mountains are those times in our life when we feel we have nothing. Mountain climbing is challenging. But we are reminded that we do not have to climb mountains alone.
This song reminds me that when I have nothing- the Sovereign LORD is still my strength. When we are climbing a mountain there will be times of pure joy and times of agony. Times you feel like you don’t want to go on. Times when you are exhilarated by the view and you want to go but your body says not now. If you have ever climbed a mountain you know it is hard work. Mountain climbing requires you to stop and rest or get some refreshment (food and water). Our temptation may be to stop for good when we stop to rest. But the remaining part of this Scripture is precious- “HE enables me to go ON to the heights.”

How are your climbing skills today? After your rest are you pressing on up the mountain? Remember the Sovereign LORD can be your strength if you allow Him to lead up the mountain. It’s a glorious view from the top so don’t settle for the half-way point!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marked Safe In the Storm

MIGHTY small