Marked Safe In the Storm



Acts 27:17, 20-26 NLT

Then the sailors bound ropes around the hull of the ship to strengthen it. They were afraid of being driven across to the sandbars of Syrtis off the African coast, so they lowered the sea anchor to slow the ship and were driven before the wind.

The terrible storm raged for many days, blotting out the sun and the stars, until at last all hope was gone. No one had eaten for a long time. 

Finally, Paul called the crew together and said, “Men, you should have listened to me in the first place and not left Crete. You would have avoided all this damage and loss. But take courage! None of you will lose your lives, even though the ship will go down. 

For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, and he said, ‘Don’t be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What’s more, God in his goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you.’ So take courage! For I believe God. It will be just as he said. But we will be shipwrecked on an island.””

In the midst of the storm the sailors recognize unless they do something they are going to lose the battle with this storm. The best option it seems is to slow the ship down using the anchor and sailing close to the shore of the Cauda Island.  The sailors got some people into the lifeboat being towed behind the ship and then bound ropes around the ship to strengthen it in hopes that the ship would make it through the storm. 

Over the next few days they were faced with battering winds, a storm that raged so hard they couldn’t see sun or stars. All hope was gone. Then Paul shares what no one wants to hear in the midst of a storm- If you had listened to me you would not have faced this damage and loss. Oh Paul, could you have just left that part out?!

Paul shares the encouragement God sent through an angel in the night- Although there will be a shipwreck- it will take place on an island and everyone will be safe. TAKE COURAGE!! 

Storms in life are a given. Within each storm we have options. Fear. Anger. Admit defeat. Give up. Give in. Surrender. Hold on. Learn from it. And as Paul said to these sailors and others on the ship- Take courage! 

Early in my life when storms raged in my life I often faced them with fear. When God taught me to hold on to Him through his Word I learned and I’m still learning in each storm to surrender to God. Letting Him control the size of the storm and where the storm takes me. How I react or respond to the storm is what I am still learning- I want to surrender the outcome to God and TAKE COURAGE! When I trust He is holding me in the before, during, and after of the storm I can face what comes my way and even though I may be shipwrecked on an island HE IS THERE! God in his goodness has granted safety to those sailing with me! That means me too! 


God, thank you for the lessons from Paul’s experiences. As I am continually learning to trust you in the storms of my life let me take courage knowing that you are with me and I will be safe regardless of the outcome. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Climbing

MIGHTY small