MIGHTY small




This insect looks so elegant when it moves. They have stealthy- slow, graceful, calculated movements. Watch out though because they are powerful. Praying Mantis’ are predators. While they typically cannot hurt humans, according to National Geographic studies they have been known to eat “frogs, lizards, salamanders, newts, shrews, mice, snakes, tiny soft-shelled turtles, and even once a small bat.” 


Never underestimate SMALL. Never underestimate ELEGANT. 

I spent several minutes observing this insect. As it approached the end of the rail there was a calculated turn to make it to the adjacent rail. However, after several attempts to determine if there was ‘sure footing’ on the down side this critter decided to turn around and opted for the sure thing. 

When I see things like this I always ask myself- What life lesson can you observe or learn from this bit of nature. This little guy/gal (I don’t know how to tell the gender of a praying mantis) first reminded me to walk with care. 

Check out the step ahead before you step. As I watched the movements they were delicate, yet purposeful. It considered each step by feeling to see if there was something solid on which to place the next step. I ask myself- do I watch what is ahead? Do I walk with ELEGANCE? I am reminded that I am to walk humbly with my God. Could walking in humility be elegant in the sight of God? 

When I read about this small insect and learned all that it can eat I was in awe. I wondered how can an insect that is so small eat animals more than one time larger than itself. Never underestimate SMALL. Small can be mighty. Small can conquer larger predators and win.

When David was faced with Goliath- he was small in comparison and the stone he picked up was even smaller- yet that SMALL was mighty because the power of God was in it. Never underestimate SMALL. 

Are you Mighty Small? God uses “mighty small” to accomplish His mission for His glory. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Climbing

Marked Safe In the Storm